Handling storage is the biggest challenge while using Android phones that do not come with much storage. The storage size one finds sufficient will vary according to his/her usage pattern. If you are using your phone to save a lot of your data including images, videos and documents, it is possible that your storage might become insufficient at some point.
In this article, we are discussing some tips to free up storage space in Android phones.
Keep A Check On Your Apps
Just going through the list of apps in your phone will give you an insight about the storage space that is occupied by apps that you haven’t used in months. It is not true all the time because many users would be very selective when it comes to the apps they download but it can still be true in the case of some users.
To find out how long it has been since you used some apps in your phone:
- Tap on Play Store app
- Select the overflow icon (3 dots) at the top right corner and from the options that appear, select, My Apps And Games.
- On the top menu line, tap on Installed.
- Look for the upper line that says Last Used. To the right of that line, you will see an icon to sort the apps. Click on that icon and select the option last used.
- The apps that were used the most recently will be shown on top. Just check out the apps shown at the bottom and decide whether or not to keep them.
Use The “Free Up Space” Tool Of Android
Android’s Free up space tool allows you to increase the amount of useable space in your device. To find out the option, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings>>Storage. Amongst other details, you will find the information about how much space is currently in use and a list of app categories.
- Tap on the Free up Space
- Using the Remove Items feature, you can clean out photos and videos (if they are backed up or you no longer need them) and apps that you rarely use.
You can find other useful tools in the storage section. To find out the storage space used by apps:
- Select a category in Storage. You will then see a list of apps that fit in that category and also the storage space each is using.
- Tap on an app name. You will see the app size, the storage space used by user data, and cache. You will see two buttons Clear Storage and Clear data. Although it is usually safe to clear cache, you have to check what the user data is before clearing the storage to avoid deleting important media.
Follow The Practice Of Storing Photos Online
Photos and videos are the data items that consume a large portion of your storage space. Android users can upload their photos to Google Photos and save the storage space in their phone.
It is important to ensure that you are backing up all your photos to your Google account. When you are in the main page of the Google photos app, you will see a Backup complete notice shown on top. If not, perform the following steps to start back up.
- Open the Photos app and tap on the menu icon on the upper left corner. Then select Settings.
- Select the option Backup and sync.
- Ensure that the Backup and sync toggle on the top of the page is kept on. You should also verify the account that is set as the backup account. In case you have more than one account, you may set any one as the backup account.
After all your photos are backed up, you can delete all of them from your phone and save storage space.
Use A File Manager
A few months or even weeks of usage is enough for your phone to accumulate a lot of data including photos, videos and documents. Unwanted, outdated and duplicate files use up a lot of storage space without being of any use to you. File managing apps like Google Files lets you keep track of the files in your phone and the storage they consume. Many such apps have inbuilt features that let you find out duplicate files, junk files and too large files.
Most of these file managing apps will show a list of apps it is planning to delete so that you can make sure no app that you really need is being deleted.
In most cases, storage issues can be resolved with some effort from our part. If none of these methods proved to be useful, you might then have to plan on getting a new phone with more storage.